Herbert Parkinson established the business at Orchard Mill in Darwen in 1934 to weave jacquard cloth. On his death, the business was passed to his daughter who sold it to the John Lewis Partnership in 1953.
The Partnership was looking for a weaving mill to produce its own range of bespoke furnishing fabrics and increase its competitiveness. The business was later transferred to the current site at Harvest Mill, Monton Road, Darwen.
As the business expanded, fabric woven at the mill was also made into finished product and the site now produces cushion pads and a range of filled products such as beanbags and John Lewis’s own brand duvets and pillows filled with high quality goose downs sourced from Siberia and Eastern Europe. Herbert Parkinson also handles curtain production for John Lewis and this is a major part of our manufacturing base.